Pages

Wednesday 2 May 2012

Origins review: Checks and Balances cleanser & Modern Friction exfoliator

On a little trip to my local Origins counter to purchase some face masks, I was given some generous samples of other products to try out. I was so excited to get my hands on these! I've wanted to try out this cleanser in particular for a while now after hearing so many raves about it on YouTube.


Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash

I am utterly in love with this cleanser. It's intended to balance out dry and oily areas. I have extremely oily skin in the centre of my face with the occasional dry patch on the sides of my face, and have found that this does an excellent job of cleansing my face without stripping it of oil, and I haven't had any dry patches since using this. I just love the texture - it's creamy and rich, and lathers up incredibly. Actually, it's a pleasure to use :) It feels luxurious and refreshing especially in the mornings. It is a little TOO frothy to use with a Clarisonic however - it flings it everywhere and I do not recommend getting this in your eyes :) ouch!

Modern Friction; Nature's Gentle Dermabrasion

'Skin-refining rice starch cushioned in cream': this is how Origins describe this exfoliator, which contains Lemon Oil and Vitamin C to tackle dullness and discolouration. In terms of exfoliation this is super, super gentle and the flakes remind me a little bit of porridge oats! They are held in a rich cream that spreads easily on the skin. Although I like this product for its ingredients and the fact it is not at all harsh and doesn't scratch the skin, personally I prefer something with a bit more 'oomph'. My skin doesn't feel smoother afterwards, and I can't comment on the skin brightening properties as I use other products aimed at that as well, but I feel this would be good for use as an every day exfoliator as I think the cumulative effects are probably more noticeable if you use it regularly.

(Checks and Balances on the left; Modern Friction on the right)

So Checks and Balances is going on my shopping list, and I will be getting the full size version. I'm going to skip buying Modern Friction, as I prefer other exfoliators and skin brighteners (more reviews to follow on my testing of lots of those).

Can you recommend any other Origins products to try? This is an interesting line that I've dipped in and out of over the years but haven't ended up with any HG products (although Checks and Balances is a definite contender...).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

it sounds like we have similar skin types- i'll definitely need to try these products out! new follower, can't wait to catch up on your posts :)

Melissa said...

Hey Ashley! Thank you so much for your comment and your follow!

Isn't oily skin a pain?! My biggest problem is getting foundation to stay put. Let me know if you have any recommendations for great primers :)

So great to have discovered your blog now too :) I love your Mother's Day gift ideas!